I design processes and interfaces that make people more effective, efficient, and fulfilled at work—whether that’s customers, coworkers, or staff. I believe that management is another opportunity to employ user experience design thinking and techniques, and that the role of UX management is to encourage, develop, and empower designers to do and be their best.
I manage a team of kick-ass UX designers at FireEye, a leading cybersecurity company headquartered in Milpitas, CA. Since joining the company, I have grown the Virginia-based UX team from 1 person to 5 and launched the 1.0 version of FireEye Endpoint Security application (originally named Mandiant for Security Operations).
Prior to joining FireEye, I ran my own creative consulting firm for 13 years and led a weekly roundtable for small and micro design firms. I served as local leader for the DC chapter of the Interaction Design Association from 2010 to 2012 and have presented on design and business topics at user experience conferences around the country. Extracurricular work includes:
- UX resume blog
- “Design a UX Resume That Will Get You Hired” (Slides)
- “UX Takeover from Within” (Slides | Video)
- “Stop Explaining UX and Start Doing UX” (article for UX Magazine)
- “From Flab to Fab! Design Secrets for Overweight Interfaces” (Slides | Video)
Fun facts about me:
- I believe in serial commas
- I’m related to a saint
- I once worked as a pedicab driver, ferrying drunks around Cairns, Australia